ActivClient allows organizations to move beyond simple passwords and deploy the best strong authentication solution for their environment. Choosing from a range of credential options, including smart cards and USB tokens, organizations can authenticate users to a wide variety of desktop, network, mobile, cloud and productivity applications. The strong authentication solution is also available for all major mobile platforms, enabling organizations to protect their resources whether accessed from a desktop, laptop, tablet or smartphone.
ActivClient has been deployed in over four million desktop installations and is interoperable with leading smart cards, readers, operating systems, certificate authorities, network environments and enterprise applications.
With ActivClient, organizations can confidently:
- Increase security
- Improve compliance: Support for standard U.S. Government issued Common Access Cards and Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) 201 – certified Personal Identity Verification (PIV) cards
- Reduce costs: Integrates easily into existing infrastructure.
- Scales to tens of thousands of desktops using Windows management tools
- Optimizes productivity with a single, versatile strong authentication tool for both Windows Login and Remote Access (e.g., PIN-protected PKI certificates or OTPs for VPN)
- Provides flexibility with an option of a stand-alone mode and an initialization tool
- Interoperability with a wide range of remote access solutions, thin clients, applications (e.g., Microsoft® Outlook®, Adobe Acrobat®, and popular web browsers), smart cards, smart card readers and USB tokens
- Compatibility with major certificate authorities and encryption utilities
- Simple automated deployment, updates and diagnostics
- An open, standards-based architecture, which is easily extensible using the companion software development kit
- Support for standard U.S. Governmentissued Common Access Cards and Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS) 201- certified Personal Identity Verification certified (PIV) cards
The insider threat to enterprise information assets is rising in the wake of increased layoffs, consolidation and a weak economy. In this environment, the opportunity for insiders to exploit static passwords for business disruption or personal gain is high. HID Global’s ActivID® ActivClient® ensures strong authentication of employees, contractors and suppliers when they access enterprise resources to help IT managers, security professionals and auditors manage the risk of unauthorized access to workstations and networks.
As a market-leading middleware for smart cards and USB tokens, ActivClient consolidates identity credentials (private keys for public key infrastructure [PKI] certificates and symmetric keys for one-time password (OTP) generation) on a single secure, portable device. This capability, combined with support for a wide range of desktop, network, and productivity applications, enables organizations to use strong authentication, encryption, and digital signatures to protect highvalue resources and interactions.
Increased Security: ActivClient allows organizations to protect Windows® workstations and internal networks from unauthorized access. Using ActivClient, IT managers can easily enforce strong authentication policies when users login to their Windows desktop, or access the organization’s network, using a virtual private network (VPN), or remote desktop session.
ActivClient can be deployed with AAA Server for Remote Access or ActivID Appliance for OTP validation. This enables organizations to authenticate, using the same smart card, to legacy authentication systems that are not PKI-enabled yet. ActivClient includes a Windows compliant smart card mini-driver and a PKCS#11 compliant library, enabling email and document digital signature and encryption services with a large number of applications. These security services help organizations Improve compliance with government regulations (e.g. Sarbanes-Oxley Act Section 302: Internal Controls) and industry standards (e.g. PCI DSS Section 8)
Flexible Deployment Models: The ActivID® Credential Management System (CMS) is a reliable, proven, and extensible solution that enables organizations to securely issue and manage digital credentials on devices. When deployed with ActivID CMS, ActivID ActivClient® offers a smart card auto-update service, enabling credentials to be centrally updated after card issuance, with minimal cardholder disruption. For customers without a Credential Management system, ActivID ActivClient offers a stand-alone mode, with an initialization tool for easy issuance and reset of smart cards and USB tokens.
Security Clients: ActivID ActivClient is the enterprise smart card middleware in the HID Global Identity Assurance portfolio. In addition to Windows®, it is available for Apple® OS X and Linux®-based platforms. HID Global’s ActivID ActivClient Software Development Kit (SDK) enables systems integrators and independent software vendors to smart card-enable their applications. Software developers do not need specific knowledge of smart card technology to integrate ActivID ActivClient services into their applications.
Lower Smart Card Deployment Costs. ActivClient can easily be deployed and managed via standard software, such as Microsoft Active Directory and Microsoft Group Policy Objects, reducing the cost of smart card deployment. ActivClient makes PKI easy for the end users. For example, Microsoft Outlook is automatically configured for secure email with the smart card certificates, and the Exchange Global Address List (GAL) is automatically updated with the same certificates. These capabilities provide increased security to end users, without the burden of learning new software capabilities. This significantly reduces help desk costs and the administrative costs normally associated with endpoint security.